With the holidays well underway your guest room may very well be booked! To help with the preparations, here are 5 essential items that will pamper your guests and keep them coming back for more:
1) Luxurious Bedding! Overstuffed pillows, down comforters, and soft sheets will give the sheep a break and lull even your most sleep-deprived guest right to sleep. Be sure to pay attention to allergies -- if someone is allergic to down try a down-alternative that has a down feel. To find bedding options locally, try F & B Linens on Grand Ave (tell Barb I sent you!) in Saint Paul.
2) Entertainment! Being away from their own bed can be hard for your guest. It may take them awhile to fall asleep in a different environment. Take this to heart and be sure to provide some sort of entertainment for your guest. This can be: a television and dvd player stocked with a variety of movies, magazines, good books, photo albums with pictures of you and your guest, or music. If you opt for a television you may want to type up a channel guide to give your guest that ultimate hotel feel.
3) Provisions! We've all been there -- it's midnight, you're in bed, wide awake, and your stomach is screaming for a snack. Make sure your guest is covered for the late-night munchies! Leave a few bottles of water in the room along with a small package of cookies, a granola bar, and a few pieces of fresh fruit. If you really want to wow your guest, keep a small coffee maker in the room so your guest can enjoy coffee or tea at any point during their stay.
4) Illumination! It sounds simple but you'd be surprised at how many guest rooms I've stayed in that do not have bedside lamps for reading. There is nothing worse than finishing a chapter of a book, getting out of bed to turn off an overhead light, and then stumbling back to bed in a strange room. Alleviate your injury liability and keep a nice bedside lamp in the guest room. The best options have dimmers and provide soft light for reading.
5) Bath Kit! Keep bathroom supplies in as convenient a spot as possible for your guests. Supply their room with a nice basket containing at least the basics: a bath towel, a hand towel, shampoo, toothpaste, soap, and wash cloths. For an extra touch buy a guest robe and slippers to keep on hand for guests.
With these essentials you're sure to have happy guests for the holidays!