Visit our website @ AnnieBallantine.com



Thanks for visitng the ABD Blog

Although sometimes sporatic I do my best you up to speed on the ever-changing world of design! Come back often to see new products, suggestions, and completed client projects.

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Old School Shabby Chic



During my first year of college I was lucky and cursed to have the one single dorm room in the entire dorm building. I loved that I had my OWN space. Growing up with my own bedroom I was certainly accustomed to the privacy and freedom of having one's own space.

This first year of undergrad schooling I was obsessed with Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic books. I loved anything vintage, French, or even remotely antiqued. I couldn't get enough of the bold floral chintz fabrics I would find at thrift stores or flea markets.

One of my most memorable moments was while I was sitting in an interview with admission's counselors in the hopes of becoming an Admission's Ambassador. One of my duties, if hired, would be to host prospective students for over night visits in my dorm room. One of the counselors said "describe your dorm room for us" and my response was "it's very Shabby Chic". I got the job!

I love to look back at old photos of my past bedrooms, apartments, and really early projects. It's amazing to see how my style has changed as I've experienced new things, learned lessons, and grew as a designer. Some things, like this shabby chic dorm room, are better left in the past!


No comments: